Welcome to the Library Binding Council
(formerly HBI and the Library Binding Institute)
The purpose of the LBC is to advocate the highest standards in quality, longevity, and durability of hardcover bound books. The basis of this purpose is championing both the ANSI/NISO/LBI Standard for Library Binding and the LBC Standard for Library Prebound Books, maintaining and encouraging support for Certified Binder Members, and promoting their benefits to their customers.
Collaboration with constituent communities to ensure high standards in hardcover and library binding is essential. In recognition of this LBC members participate in association and industry events, committees, and trade shows to stay current on best practices and in tune with the needs of their customers; while ensuring the certification process and maintenance of standards for the Library market continues. The LBC celebrates over 80 years of hardcover binding excellence.
Our members are uniquely poised to bind one or thousands of books according to specifications, quickly and accurately.
- BOUND TO STAY BOUND BOOKS, INC.
- BRIDGEPORT NATIONAL BINDERY, INC.
- HF GROUP/HOUCHEN BINDERY LTD.
- LEHMANN BOOKBINDING LTD
- PERMA-BOUND BOOKS
- US GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
- WALLACEBURG BOOKBINDING
- WERT BOOKBINDING
What services or products do Certified Binders Offer?
Certified binders offer a plethora of services:
- High quality hardcover binding.
- On demand Print & Bind, short runs, long runs
- Periodical binding for the academic library, public library or consumer
- Law journal binding for the law library or office
- Repair & rebinding of books in different styles and formats
- Thesis & Dissertation (print and binding)
- Newspaper hardcover binding
- Book Boxes
- Slip Cases
- KASEBox and Phase Boxes
- Decorative Enclosures
- Buckram Enclosures
- Portfolio Enclosures
- Folders (Case with Pocket)
- Ring Binders
- Textbook rebinding
- Comic book hardcover binding
- Digital Conversion and Scanning services
Who do Certified Binders Service?
- Libraries: University, College, Schools, Public and Private
- Business to Business
What is a Certified Binder?
Certified binders (formerly known as Certified Library Binder) are the original hardcover book binders dedicated to ensuring the highest standards in library binding in accordance with the ANSI/NISO/LBI Standard for Library Binding. Certified binders have a history and experience with the care and handling of quantities of one or 1,000+.
Ask your certified library binder to show you their Certificate which indicates their membership is in good standing
Industry Standards for Binding endorsed by the LBC:
LBC Standard for Prebound Books